Recycling

string(9) "recycling" Loading...

ecoATM’s Cell Phone Recycling Kiosks

The average American cell phone is upgraded every 18 months, but less than 20 percent of the discarded phones are recycled annually.  The other 80 percent ends up in desk drawers, or worse, in landfills. However, ecoATM is changing the wasteful lifecycle of cell phones and other electronic devices like tablets or MP3 players. Maria […]

January 16th

A CSR Makeover for Chocolate Truffles?

On a mission to transform the globe “through ethical relationships with small-scale farmers, and an integral sustainability orientation at every point on the supply chain,” Alter Eco Foods has bitten off a big bite to chew on. But it sure looks delicious. Especially those chocolate truffles. Organic, fair trade truffles! In dark chocolate and dark […]

January 2nd

Recycling Flip Flops From the Ocean Shores of Kenya

The world’s oceans are vast, floating dumps for plastic pollution. Without a serious plan for cleaning up the world’s oceans, this situation is dire and becoming worse every day. With a goal of retrieving and recycling 400,000 flip flops a year from the coast of Kenya, one small start-up in Nairobi is making a big […]

October 10th

The Unseen Realities of Our Toxic E-Waste: Terra Blight

Tools such as personal computers and smartphones and other portable electronics have enabled a virtual revolution in the way that we work and communicate and get entertained, and for the most part, that has been beneficial to us. We now have access to almost anything and everyone on the internet, at any time of day […]

September 30th

Material Mix Offers Sustainable Materials Management Solution

Learning to cut the amount of waste in our manufacturing and production cycles can have a huge impact on the sustainability of both individual businesses and our limited common resources, and implementing a sustainable materials management solution is one viable method of not only reducing costs, but also using resources more wisely. According to Material […]

November 7th

Organic Fertilizer Company Receives $500,000 Loan from RSF Social Finance

The organic fertilizer company EcoScraps has received a $500,000 loan from RSF Social Finance, a financial services organization that provides funding for nonprofits and social enterprises. The loan will help EcoScraps, a three-year-old company that makes organic, chemical- and manure-free lawn and garden products, expand its network of waste management partnerships and increase its exposure […]

January 31st

Ten Cool Things GM Have Done To Reduce Waste

In October, General Motors published a blueprint for companies to follow to reduce their waste going to landfill.  Buried within it are ten cool things GM has done to reduce its own landfill waste.  These are: Converting 227 miles of oil soaked booms from the Deepwater Horizon disaster into air deflectors for the Chevvy Volt.  […]

November 22nd

You Think You Might start a Green Business?

Our aching planet just needs you to be thoughtful as you plow into your next venture. If you are, everyone wins, and wins sustainably into the indefinite future. A sustainable business considers the impacts of every facet of its operation and then attempts to address each, from paper consumption to human resources, in a way […]

November 7th

The Effects of CSR on Market Capitalization

To what extent do socially and environmentally positive initiatives in the private sector boost a [public] company’s value? And is the downside greater for those that that do not engage in CSR activities or worse flout environmental or social concerns? We know that significant events such as the BP oil spill will go a long […]

September 7th

When Is Junk Mail Going to Disappear?

About 7 months ago, following grad school I relocated to the great (not state although some are trying) District of Columbia. Although 7 months is not a very long time, one would think it would be long enough for me to stop receiving previous tenant’s junk mail. In fact, it’s not just one previous tenant, […]

May 10th

Responsibilities of the Alcohol Industry

There has been increasing discussion recently as to the role of corporate social responsibility throughout the alcohol industry. Of course CSR policies can and should be applied to companies throughout the private sector although my guess is that most people’s first thoughts don’t shoot to the beer, wine and spirits industry. Whether policies in that […]

April 13th

Green Stats: Can’t We Tell Them Without the Agenda?

I just downloaded The State of the Paper Industry: Monitoring the Indicators of Environmental Performance, put out by the Steering Committee of the Environmental Paper Network. On the surface, the numbers sound impressive and scary. The big bad paper industry needs to be reigned in for the good of the planet. Old growth forests are […]

February 2nd