OneBillionBulbs.com was conceived and developed by Symmetric Technologies, a software and database application development company based in Newton, MA. The goal of OneBillionBulbs.com is to be a catalyst for positive, meaningful environmental change by:
- educating people about the environmental and economic benefits of replacing standard incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient compact flourescent (CFL) light bulbs
- encouraging a large number of people to replace standard incandescent light bulbs with CFL light bulbs.
OneBillionsBulbs.com hopes to reach its goals by:
- persuading people that CFL light bulbs make environmental and economic sense
- collecting, calculating and presenting pollution-reduction and energy-savings data in a fun, interesting way in order to encourage action and attract media attention
- providing promotional tools which encourage viral and word-of-mouth growth
- introducing a limited amount of advertising which (a) educates our site visitors about online purchase options for CFLs and other environmentally-friendly products and (b) supports the ongoing development, maintenance, hosting and promotion of OneBillionBulbs.com.