The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company along with its customers increased its annual Food for Friends campaign by 40% from 2009, donating over $2 million to more than 300 local food pantries and regional food banks throughout Stop & Shop’s operating areas this year according to the CSRwire press release. Customer contributions accounted for 90% of the $2 million while Stop & Shop contributed $500 per store; a great example how customers can be a vehicle for change.In a year that saw increasing demand across our cities food banks, Stop & Shop customers stepped up with generosity to take care of their communities this holiday season. Sixty percent of the $2 million raised will go directly to hundreds of local food pantries that Stop & Shop stores adopt in each community. Forty percent will be allocated to state food banks. According to the CSRwire press release the following Stop & Shop stores and customers raised the most in their communities:
- $20,126 – Enfield CT (Store 2605)
- $18,951 – Narragansett RI (Store 718)
- $14,730 – Madison CT (Store 624)
- $14,464 – Hingham MA (Store 35)
- $14,143 – Natick MA (Store 6)
- $13,957 – Franklin MA (Store 472)
- $13,455 – Colchester CT (Store 608)
- $13,321 – E. Providence RI (Store 2701)
- $13,252 – Worcester MA (Store 85)
- $13,153 – Kingstown RI (Store 737)
- $12,766 – Hudson MA (Store 489)
- $12,619 – Madison NJ (Store 2805)
- $12,530 – Old Saybrook CT (Store 688)
- $11,928 – Gardner MA (Store 434)
- $11,682 – Simsbury CT (Store 607)
- $11,601 – Somerset NJ (Store 809)
- $11,290 – Southbury CT (Store 621)
- $11,120 – Montville CT (Store 678)
- $11,100 – Newington CT (Store 630)
- $10,761 – Sparta NJ (Store 879)
It’s not too late to follow the lead from Stop & Shop customers, you can find and donate to a local food bank by visiting Feeding America’s Food Bank Locator. Feeding America, the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. It helps provide low – income individuals and families with the fuel to survive by supplying food to more than 37 million Americans each year, including 14 million children and 3 million seniors. No extra money this holiday season? No problem! You can also advocate or volunteer for the food bank this year.
Congratulations once again to Stop & Shop and its customers’ fundraising success and here’s hoping they can inspire giving on the part of others.
Image credit: saxarocks via flickr under CC license.