Investing in solar power is a great choice for homeowners and businesses alike, but one big obstacle to entering the solar revolution is the high initial cost for both the equipment and the installation, which can deter many people from choosing to install solar panels that could offset some or all of their energy costs.
This is especially true in lower-income communities, which could really benefit from cheaper energy. But for some neighborhoods across the US, they’re getting a helping hand from a nonprofit solar installer that leads teams of volunteers and green job trainees in installing solar PV systems exclusively for low-income homeowners.
“GRID Alternatives’ mission is to empower communities in need by providing renewable energy and energy efficiency services, equipment, and training. GRID Alternatives works collaboratively with communities and local organizations to identify specific needs and to develop renewable energy solutions that are environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable.” — GRID Alternatives
Since 2004, GRID Alternatives has installed over 10 MW of solar power for more than 3,700 families. These projects have enabled more than $80 million in energy cost savings, as well as giving hands-on solar installation training to more than 14,000 volunteers and trainees.
- Advantages of Solar Energy
- Why Solar Energy?
- 7 Ways To Reduce Your Electricity Bill
- Price Of Solar Much Lower Than Solar Savings
- Which Solar Panels Are Most Efficient?
- What Is The Current Cost Of Solar Panels?
- Low Costs of Solar Power & Wind Power Crush Coal, Crush Nuclear, & Beat Natural Gas
- Dragon’s Guide To A 100% Renewable Home — Part 5 (Solar Panels)
Via to Huffington Post